Friday, January 28, 2011

Blog Prompt 6


#6 In your opinion, when is it beneficial, ethical, or appropriate to digitally alter photographic portraits? When do you think it is inappropriate or ethically wrong?

This is a very complex, complicated subject; one that I am definitely no expert in, and I personally struggle with answering. I feel like digitally altering photographs is an acceptable practice, but definitely not in all situations. For example, I have absolutely no problem with someone altering their own images that they are keeping for personal use (or even to sell as art). I think the biggest example of unethical alteration that comes to mind is in fashion. For example, I think it can be quite suspicious a magazine ad states that by using the advertised product the user will look as good as the person pictures in the advertisement and the person has clearly been digitally altered. In this sense digital alterations are lying in order to profit off of those who do not understand what digital alterations are, and I really do not approve of any kind of unethical business practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment