Sunday, February 20, 2011

Blog Prompts 16-18

Please respond to the three following quotes.

“I think photographs should be provocative and not tell you what you already know. It takes no great powers or magic to reproduce somebody's face in a photograph. The magic is in seeing people in new ways.” Duane Michals

I think this quote is interesting, however I feel like it is not thinking about the big picture. I feel like it is impossible to see people in new ways every single time you look at them. I think the “magic” of a photograph is found in capturing a moment that really defines who they are. The moment may already be very recognizable and not new in any way; however I think it can really speak as to who they are as a person, therefore having a powerful meaning.


“I believe in the imagination. What I cannot see is infinitely more important than what I can see.” Duane Michals

I think this idea is important in some photographs, but not all. I think it is a very fun and interesting exercise to try and pull a deeper meaning from a photograph. However I do believe that in some cases a deeper meaning is not necessarily intended. I think this happens a lot with sports photography. I think the photographs are taken more for their visual appeal than for a deeper meaning.


“Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer—and often the supreme disappointment.” ~Ansel Adams

I can definitely understand this thought. From my own personal experiences I can attest to some of the great difficulties of landscape photography. I still do not completely understand the best methods for taking landscape photographs. I can think of many times when I have given up after trying to take landscape photographs and they just turn out to be boring or unexciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment