Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Contemporary Landscape Photographer: Richard Mosse


Biography: Richard Mosse, age 30, was born and grew up in Ireland. He now resides in New York. He studied at Yale, Goldsmiths, and the London Consortium, and strives to revisit and rewrite traumatic cultural histories.

Significance: Mosse’s breathtaking landscape photographs use unnatural colors to really spark visual interest. Recoloring an entire brown field red or an entire green area pink gives the photographs a truly unique, and completely unnatural feel.  

Composition: The framing of his photographs is very interesting. He has breathtaking viewpoints, but it is truly his color correction and contrast that separates his photographs from any I have ever seen before.

Concept/Aboutness/Idea: I cannot find an official description of this particular album, but it is entitled “Infra”. I think this is perhaps playing off of the word infrared since many of his photographs have a red or pink hue.

Method: Again, I cannot find an official statement, but the photographs look to be photoshopped with a huge amount of color correction.

Motivations: I am not sure of the official motivations, but the way some of the photographs are presented it almost looks like he is softening (or almost demasculinizing) an armed force.

Your Opinion: I really like this particular album by Mosse. I find the color correction to be stunning and really interesting. Seeing something that is usually so natural in such an unnatural way is really interesting and definitely something I want to try in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment