Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Semi-Contemporary Photographer: Christian Boltanski

http://www.moma.org/collection/artist.php?artist_id=649

Christian Boltanski was born on September 6, 1944 in Paris. He often tries to memorialize those who have disappeared or the anonymous. His works are often haunting and deal with problems of death, memory, and loss. I really find his portrait photographs to be very interesting. There is a lack of clarity in the facial features; however, I feel like the emotion of the facial features is still communicated very clearly. The photographs are definitely haunting and very eerie.

I find his character (from what I can tell) to be very interesting. He has a kind of "bet" with an art collector/gambler. Boltanski has agreed to be filmed by a number of cameras in his studio in Paris for 8 years. If Boltanski dies within 2 years his kin will be paid a reduced amount. Boltanski will only gain ownership of the material if he survives for eight years.

No comments:

Post a Comment