This is a photograph of a gazebo found in a historical village in the downtown area of my hometown. I think this photograph is heavily reliant on the explanation of its context. When I was in first or second grade we took a field trip to this historical village. Under this gazebo they told us a story of a women who died on this gazebo when an icicle fell and struck her in the head. This was a fairly memorable story for a small kid, so it was really interesting to me when I was walking through the village taking pictures and saw this gazebo again. I kept it in black and white and raised the contrast of the gazebo area in order to give it a slightly more haunting feel.
Post Critique: The class definitely agreed that the story changed the photo quite a bit. I definitely think the context is a large part of this photograph.
For this photograph I wanted to play with text in photographs. I wanted to try and make a poster like photograph. Text in photographs has definitely been a kind of challenge for me. Things like font choices and placement are really difficult! For the photograph itself, I wanted to use a photograph that showed motion, but I did not want a face or anything personally identifying in it. I also tried to skew the "MSU Longboarding Club" text so it got larger as it went to the right.
Post Critique: The class generally thought this was successful as a kind of advertisement. I got some comments saying the "MSU Longboarding Club" text should have more perspective distortion, which is definitely something I understand.
This photograph was taken in the same village as the first photograph. I just really liked the composition of this photograph. The lines and objects in the frame were visually interesting to me. I tried to leave just a hint of color in the photograph. Not enough to be distracting, but enough so the viewer could see it upon closer inspection.
Post Critique: The class seemed to like this photograph. I think leaving the small amount of color in was a good decision. I got some suggestions suggesting that I bring out the brown in the door a little bit more.
This photograph was also taken in the historical village in my hometown. I found this to be really interesting because I was walking around this empty village, and someone placed a doll in one of the windows looking out. It really kind of creeped me out, so I thought it would be an interesting subject for a photograph. I ended up playing with the lighting quite a bit in camera raw. I wanted to have the harsh looking lighting in order give the photograph a more harsh, interesting tone. I tried to leave a string of light going out from the doll's gaze in order to draw follow the line of her gaze. I really like how the lighting turned out and I really think it adds to the atmosphere of the photograph.
Post Critique: I think this photograph was a lot of people's favorite. The lighting did not prove to look too fake since no one really thought it was unnatural until i told them. I got some suggestions saying that I should try cropping the very top of the photograph.




No comments:
Post a Comment