Thursday, April 7, 2011

Photo Recreation 5



http://www.hectorsos.net/?portfolio=paper-faces-2

I really like the photo series by Hector Sos entitled "Paper Faces" In this series he essentially covers his subjects faces in different kinds of paper. Sometimes they are paper designs, sometimes they are simply colored pieces. I tried to follow a similar style when making this recreation.



This is my attempt at a more literal recreation of the photograph. I tried to keep a simple as possible, and even tried to include the white background. I am slightly disappointed at how harsh and prominent the shadow is. I did a poor job with the lighting since I did not have too many tools to work with.

I also did a different editing job that I thought was kind of interesting. I tried playing with luminance and saturation of individual colors. I came up with this second version:

14 comments:

  1. I prefer this second photograph when it comes to how the colors work together. I feel that although it tones down your subject, it heightens the contrast and adds more visual interest. You did a good job of re-creating the original photo. If you were to turn this into a larger series it would be neat if you made facial features with the paper that is placed on your subjects face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely like the desaturated image best. The neon pink stickies really stand out and create emphasis within the scene. I would have like to see the cardigan desaturated as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel the second version of the recreation is way more successful. the inclusion of the entire shadow adds more depth to the shot. my only critique would be her stance. she looks uncomfortable, which takes away from the main subject of the shot, which should be the paper face. just a thought! good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like the colors in the last photo the best... It seems to pull out way more. Although shadowing doesn't necessarily reflect original, it makes it interesting. Cropping out the very top might focus attention more on subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like the color removal of your second recreation. it really draws attention to the pink post its. it almost looks like they are added after the photo. a different color sweater opposite color would be interesting.
    -Bryce

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the first image a little better. I like the softness of the colors with the bright pink post it notes. I may auto correct the color to make the wall seem a bit brighter, but otherwise good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you did a good job recreating his style. Like you said, the lighting isn't exactly the same, but it is close to his. I wonder if you should have cropped off all the blank wall space...?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This series is very interesting. I like the editing you did. Even though it's a little different from the original photographer's style, I still think it would work as a recreation. I agree with you about the shadow; I think it would be better without it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The recreation is cool and I think you got a really cool artist, very surreal. I think that the colors enhanced look better.

    Definitively the lightning is way too theatrical and gives a creepy feeling instead of a funny one we get from the originals. I'd suggest having two or three lamps (you don't have to have fancy lamps). Also, I'd love to see the post-it notes to be a different color than the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the second image somehow pushes the idea of her as an object upon which to put post-its. i like that your image uses paper that has a purpose. you could definitely push that further and use other types of paper with purpose. it might be fun to try different color sweaters (like victoria mentioned) or simply change the color in photoshop. maybe a tighter crop?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The second recreation where you changed the color I think is more successful. The vibrancy of her sweater and of the stick notes is a lot more prevalent. I also think it would be interesting to add something of your own, like possibly creating a different shadow that does not mimic her actual stance, the idea of a second identity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you had very clear idea to do the recreation. Great match with your original image. Nice color choice and I like the bottom one because of contrast and the shadow. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how the photograph stays true to Sos's series but at the same time you add a different emotion to the photograph. The body language of the subject is less enthusiastic creating and more serious tone. I like the top first photo the best, but I agree that it would look better without the shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the edit! you could take it to an andy warhol level by doing the same with different tones. great work!

    ReplyDelete